Saturday 26 September 2009

Chips

I'm not keen on the bags of oven chips you can buy, so if I need chips I make them instead.

I just slice up potatoes and fry them in a little olive oil in my big frying pan.

I think maybe these should really be called sauteed potatoes, but around here they're called 'Mum's chips'.

I don't attempt to cut them into chip shapes, instead I cut each peeled potato in half lengthways, and then slice each half several times - I suppose each slice is around half a centimetre thick.

Lay them in a single layer in a medium-heated pan with a little olive oil - they will shrink as they cook, so it doesn't matter if the pan is a little crowded at first. Don't have the heat too high, as they have to cook through as well as crisp up on the outside.

You can pre-cook the potatoes to speed up the frying process, and you end up with a slightly fluffier result, which is very nice. You also end up with an extra pan to wash up!


Turn them over when they have turned golden underneath, then keep going until they are completely cooked. Sprinkle with a little salt.

1 comment:

Coby said...

I think having them cut your way rather than they more typical lengths helps to make them special:) They look delicious:D