Friday 6 August 2010

Tofu and Cabbage Stir-Fry

This was a day of 'firsts' for me - I cooked tofu for the first time, and I also cooked myself some lunch for the first time (I usually have a toasted cheese sandwich, but I don't think that counts as cooking!).

I used a Sophie Dahl recipe - Lily's stir fry with tofu - as a guide.

Heat sesame oil or other stir-fry type oil in a large pan or wok. Add shredded cabbage and onion and fry for a few minutes. I find sesame oil a bit pongy, and I have since used peanut oil with good results - maybe the dish loses a little flavour but I prefer the low-smell option.

Add chopped tofu, then a splash of soy sauce, another splash of mirin or apple cider vinegar...

...some grated carrot and some green veg - I didn't have any other vegies, so I used parsley instead.
Add some sesame seeds and some coriander if you have it.

I really enjoyed this - so tasty and quite filling too. It had never occurred to me to make a stir-fry without rice or noodles. A really quick and easy lunch.

Original recipe, serves 2...

Ingredients:
2 tbsp sesame oil/peanut oil
1 cup shredded cabbage
1/2 cup chopped onion
150 g firm tofu, cubed
1 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
1 tsp mirin or apple cider vinegar
1 cup coarsely grated carrot
i cup coarsely grated zucchini
1 cup snow peas or bean sprouts
1 tbsp sesame seds
handful of chopped coriander

8 comments:

Laetitia said...

Well done! Your dish looks delicious. I also love cooking tofu with vegetables in a wok, you got all the flavors mixed together, fantastic!

Coby said...

Arista, I'm a sesame oil lover, but I always think it's best added cautiously at the end of cooking, so I'm with you on the peanut oil front:) I've only cooked with silken and fried tofu, never firm tofu - it is a challenge you have just brought me a little closer to:) Good for you for taking that little bit of extra time to make yourself some lunch - and I suspect this is the sort of recipe you feel may be wasted on the whole family?;)

Anonymous said...

So impressed you did this for lunch! It's so good, isn't it? Not to mention dangerously good for you. Great pictures, too. Alright, back to my grilled cheese sandwich I've got for lunch...
T.E.

Sarah @ For the Love of Food said...

I really like the look and sound of this - it's nice to find dishes with tofu that pack a punch of flavour - and I reckon it must have a nice crunch too.

cocoa and coconut said...

Yum! Healthy and delicious. I absolutely love stir fry

arista said...

Thanks everyone for your encouraging comments x

Christina said...

Mm, really enjoyed this for dinner tonight :)

Anonymous said...

FYI sesame oil is for flavouring not cooking. Stir fry with a neutral oil and then drizzle some sesame oil at the end