Wednesday 22 April 2009

No-Knead Bread

I read about this bread on Coby's blog and I had to try it because it looked so delicious - a serious, no-messing around Italian type of bread (that I am lucky enough to be able to buy for $2 at our local Italian bakery, but still always wanted to be able to make myself!)

After reading Coby's blog entry (in which she provides metric conversions for the recipe) and watching the video link, I started by mixing 410 g bread flour, 1/4 tsp instant yeast, 1 1/4 tsp salt in a bowl, and then added 430 ml cold tap water, stirring it to a soggy dough with a palette knife.

It looks like this, sort of like a thick paste. Cover it and stand it somewhere at room temperature for 12 to 18 hours. I left mine for about 16 hours in the pantry, after which it looked like this...

...bubbly and very wet-looking.

I put it on a tea towel (with baking paper because I thought it might stick to the cloth) covered with plenty of wholemeal flour. Coby uses polenta, or you can use bran. Fold it into some kind of round shape - which is very difficult as it feels like a flour-covered jellyfish - and cover it over for 2 hours to rise.

I wrapped mine up in the paper and tea towel.

After 2 hours mine seemed to have spread a little and got a bit bigger, although not in an upward direction!

Half an hour before the end of rising time, set the oven to 230 C and add a big pot with a lid to heat up aswell. I used my 7 litre Scanpan casserole.

Somehow get the dough into the (very hot) pot - I ended up half throwing it in off the paper because it was so soft and blobby - then quickly put the lid on and put it back in the oven. Cook for half an hour.

After half an hour, remove the lid and cook for 15 more minutes. (Longer if you want a crunchier, tougher crust.)

It tastes wonderful, and has a slightly 'gluey' texture which must come from the steaming effect on the dough caused by cooking it in a pot with a lid. I was surprised how soft the loaf was and the crust was not brittle or particularly tough - I assume this would change if you cooked it for longer without the lid.

Thanks Coby!

9 comments:

Mary said...

I've seen this bread around in different blogs , your bread came out reaaly good !

Anonymous said...

wow it looks gorgeous! I've seen this all over many food blogs too. Is it really as simple as it sounds?

Cynthia said...

Hands down this is one of my favourite breads to make and eat.

Rhyleysgranny said...

I have been thinking about making this. Yours look great Arista. Your step by step instruction are excellent and have convinced me to try. The bread looks lovely

EmmCee said...

Isn't the bread just the best - loved making mine yesterday. Your step by step is great - now all you need to do is make the butter!

Thanks Arista

Maria@TheGourmetChallenge said...

What an attractive loaf. There is nothing like the joy of baking, especially when the fruits of your labor taste delicious!

Coby said...

Isn't it fab?:) Such an easy recipe that once made you can do it without referring to a recipe:) And I agree the term 'rise' fits less with this recipe, but it does *grow*;) Beautiful loaf Arista!

EmmCee said...

The Clayton's blog has warded you the Premios Dardo award - please come and collect it :-)

George said...

Beautiful bread Arista. I am inspired to try it.