Monday 17 May 2010

Banana Breakfast Ring

This is the recipe I cook most from 'Feast' - it's so quick and easy to make, and is great for using up over-ripe bananas. It's also light and fluffy and has a slight lemony tang. I have to say I've never eaten it for breakfast though!

In a large bowl mash up bananas well, then add oil, eggs, lemon juice and zest, vanilla and caster sugar. Whisk them all together with a fork.

Add flour and raising agents (or self-raising flour which is what I've started using) and fold to combine.

You end up with a lumpy mixture - very muffin-like, which is probably exactly what it is. A big muffin.

Pour it into an oiled bundt tin, or normal round cake tin. Cook for 30-40 minutes at 180 C.

When it's all golden on the top, remove from oven and leave to cool in the tin for 5 - 10 mins.

Remove from tin and decide which is the 'right' way up to serve the cake. I think with bundt tins the bottom is the top bit, but I don't really like the look of this side.

This looks much better to me. Slice and eat while still warm, but it's great cold too.

Ingredients:
3 medium bananas
60 ml oil (I use olive oil)
3 eggs
zest and juice of half a lemon (I use a little zest and a decent squirt of lemon juice)
1 tsp vanilla essence
200 g caster sugar (I use 140 g)
325 g plain flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp bicarb - or 325 g self-raising flour

11 comments:

Rhyleysgranny said...

That looks so good and simple to make too. Lovely job x

Lucie said...

This looks wonderful! I love bundt cakes. Lucie x

Brownieville Girl said...

Another great cake, making me very hungry!!!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

This looks great! There are so many recipes that I haven't even noticed from Feast! :o

Anna's kitchen table said...

I make this recipe quite regularly too Arista, yours looks so good!
I sometimes add butterscotch chips to mine - a firm favourite with everyone!

Coby said...

LOL We'll make up for it for you Arista, as we ONLY have it for breakfast - with maple syrup:) Fab recipe isn't it?:D

Mark @ Cafe Campana said...

Nigella again produces a great cake. She certainly has the touch. You have done this very well. I feel like cake now.

Chef Dennis Littley said...

what a beautiful cake!! I am always looking for something to make with my leftover banana's
thanks so much for the inspiration!
cheers
Dennis

Unknown said...

Thanks everyone for your comments x

Anonymous said...

Love how you make it into a ring instead of the normal loaf. Looks great!

Laura @ starloz.com said...

Serious yummers my friend