Saturday 15 May 2010

Quick Apple Cake

When I made the Quick Apple Flan I said I would be interested to see how it turned out with self-raising flour instead of plain.

Thisevening I made the self-raising version, and it really worked out quite well. This time it was definitely a cake instead of a flan - much more fluffy and light, and less sticky. Quite a different dessert, which is why I decided to rename it and give it its own post.

Really good with custard. Original recipe here but replace the plain flour with self-raising.

This time I used two largish granny smith apples, and chopped them up a bit smaller to make slicing the cake easier.

5 comments:

Lucie said...

This looks so delicious!

Coby said...

Oooh, so do you have a preference Arista? I loved the look of the original, but this one is pretty fab:) If you could only make one version into the future??:) Or is that too cruel a question?;P YUM!

Sarah said...

I've been looking for a cake (or muffin) recipe to use up some granny smiths (and to take a break from banana cake, which I adore. It's like an addiction). I haven't yet checked out the flan version but this fluffy version has really got me going! I'll let you know how I go with it :)

arista said...

Coby, the two are completely different, so I couldn't say which is best. The first is more 'appley' though.

Good luck with it Sarah, I hope you like it!

Sarah @ For the Love of Food said...

Hey arista just thought I'd let you know that I finally got around to making the S/R flour version of this cake. I actually made it into muffins and just grated the apple so that it was easier to distribute into the patty pans (used the grater blade on the food processor). They turned out beautifully. Thanks for the recipe!