Monday 26 January 2009

Blueberry Buttermilk Bread

Another way to eat blueberries in a cake - this is like a big loaf-shaped muffin made with buttermilk (I think blueberries and buttermilk seem to work well together).

You combine the wet with the dry ingredients until just combined, and then cook in a lined loaf tin at 180 C for one hour.

(I undercooked mine and only cooked it for 50 mins - it needed the extra 10 mins because it's a bit squashy in the middle - I think the kitchen got a bit busy at that time and I took it out too early without thinking.)

This is the kind of cake I like - easy to make, not very sweet (I only added 3/4 cup of sugar), solid and filling.

Ingredients:

2 cups (300 g ) plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarb of soda
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 cup (220 g) demarara sugar
1 punnet blueberries
1 egg, lightly beaten
60 g butter, melted
1 cup (250 ml) buttermilk

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks like a fabulous alternative to banana bread. Thanks for that! :)

Oh my! Apple pie! said...

I never get around to cooking with blueberries, my son scoffs them before I get a chance and they are quite expensive here too.
I do like the sound of this though, I think it would be lovely sliced and toasted on one side and smeared in butter for breakfast or with creme fraiche yum.