Thursday 29 January 2009

Brown Bread and Butter Ice Cream

The finished ice cream


Toasted breadcrumbs and sugar (I had to stop myself from scoffing all these!)


The custard and crumbs ready to put in the ice cream maker

This is an unusual ice cream from 'Apples For Jam' - using leftover bread for flavour and texture.

Breadcrumbs and brown sugar are toasted, then a custard is made with eggs, vanilla, cream and milk. Melted butter and the sugary breadcrumbs are stirred in and then it's churned in an ice cream maker.

It looks unusual - like it's wholemeal ice cream - and kind of tastes like someone has crushed up sugar cones and stirred them through. Various comments were 'it looks like soggy Weetbix', 'it tastes like muesli' and 'it's like cold porridge' - but the children did ask for seconds, so it can't be that bad!

I'm not sure if I'd make it again, but if I did I'd definitely use less sugar because I think it's too sweet. I'm glad I made this recipe though because it has helped me overcome my 'fear' of making custard (something I've always made by using custard powder) or custard based ice creams, because I now know it's not that hard!

Ingredients:
100 g brown bread crumbs
100 g brown sugar
60 g butter
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
125 ml milk
355 ml cream (I used a 300 ml carton and used a bit more milk instead)

3 comments:

Oh my! Apple pie! said...

I think the fact the kids came back for seconds says it all doesn't it. I've seen brown bread ice cream before but never tasted it...I'm more of a raspberry ripple girl.

Anonymous said...

Oh I know how fabulous this would be, I made a brown bread and honey ice cream and it was having the nicest warm toast in ice cream form :)

Coby said...

I have always wanted to try this recipe, but never have. I think I shall now thanks to your inspiration Arista, I'll give it a go:D