Friday 26 February 2010

Blueberry Buttermilk Muffins (another version)

This is a slightly different version of blueberry and buttermilk muffins. The other ones I made contained demarara sugar and butter, while these have white sugar and oil.

Put flour and sugar in a bowl, and in a large jug put oil, buttermilk, egg and vanilla.

Add the buttermilk mixture and blueberries to the flour and sugar, and stir until combined.

Because of the white sugar, the mixture is very pale - I normally use brown or demarara sugar, so I was surprised at how white it was.

Spoon into muffin trays and cook at 200 C for around 20 minutes. My little muffins took 15 mins.
The cooked muffins have a golden, crispy top and are very light and fluffy inside. I'm used to the more solid, substantial and sticky muffins, so to me these are a bit like the 'white bread' version - not as tasty - more like a light cupcake.

But very popular with everyone else, and they come out of the muffin papers very cleanly with no residue, which is unusual for a muffin!

Ingredients:
2½ cups (375g) self-raising flour
¾ cup (165g) caster sugar
1 egg, beaten lightly
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cup (160ml) vegetable oil (I used olive oil)
¾ cup (180ml) buttermilk
100 g blueberries

Based on this recipe.

3 comments:

Coby said...

Sounds like YOU prefer the original, but family might be sold on this version? Would you make them again Arista do you think? They look fab:)

hungryandfrozen said...

I wonder if there's something you could add to them to make them a little more enticing - swapping white sugar for muscovado maybe, or adding cinnamon or lemon zest perhaps? They certainly look pretty...I love how muffins are so quick to make.

arista said...

Yes I will make these again, I like the fact that they are butter-free, and I love the crusty top. I think they need an extra flavour boost, so maybe brown sugar like you say, Laura - I'll try that next time.

Also a healthier alternative to cupcakes - they would work really well with icing on, I think.